Friday, October 8, 2010

Second Lecture and The Globe

Woke up very early for the 9:00 A.M. lecture, 323 Urban Life, Urban Communities, today and was one of the first to enter he lecture theatre. I sat right smack in the middle of the whole lecture theatre and waited. Somehow, while more and more people came, no one seem to want to take the seats on either side of me. In the end, the whole LT was packed and the 2 seats beside me was empty!! Super extra man. The lecture itself was pretty dry and cheem as the examples and issues discussed were all related to the UK urban policies, which I knew nought of. Even the occasional joke cracked by the lecturer made me feel more foreign as they were all regarding some former lecturer who I have never seen, or heard of before. That's pretty sad. I shall switch tactics and enter the LT just before lessons start and sit with some ang mohs the next time round.

On our way home from school after delivering lunch to Tong Wei, Alan and I made the best discovery of the week. A street soccer court complete with goal posts and fencing on the sides, that is free and open to public. Furthermore, it is pretty near our home. I foresee spending at least some time there in the near future!

Things picked up and got even better after that. We attended the free dinner at The Globe, a church that is really nice to international students. The food was pretty good and we made many new friends there! People from China, Indonesia, Slovakia, UK, etc. It's nice to have people in the same predicament as you, being away from home and finding it difficult to integrate and mix with the locals here. I had to admit that it was the first time I'm so happy to be able to speak to Chinese people. HAHA! Some of us exchanged contacts in case we are cooking and can have Chinese meals together. WOOHOO~ Best still, they have this weekly football sessions on Friday startingfrom 22nd Oct! Alan and I signed up without hesistation man. Seems like The Globe is a nice, and most of all free, place to hang out in. I will definitely be back there for their weekly Monday sessions.

Looking forward to see my old friends tomorrow too, after spending some time to make space in my room and vacuuming the carpet!

Alan and Tong Wei in The Globe


Some of the new friends made. From left: Alan, Tong Wei, Li Duan, Xiao Xi, Mr. Nice Guy, Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment